American Society of Shufa Calligraphy Education, Inc. (ASSCE) serves the needs and interests of educators, researchers, practitioners, students and enthusiasts of East Asian calligraphy (Chinese 書法 shufa, Japanese書道 shodō, Korean書藝 seoye) in North America and beyond. Through conferences, workshops, exhibitions, the ASSCE website, and other venues of academic and social exchange, we seek to advance the professional and non-professional goals of its members as well as the general public in the teaching, learning, and understanding of East Asian calligraphy in its traditional and modern forms.
Our mission is rooted in the following core values:
- Integration: We are dedicated to promoting a broad-based, interdisciplinary approach to East Asian calligraphy education. Critical to this approach is effective integration of calligraphic theory, practice, and pedagogy in meaningful humanistic, sociocultural, and scientific contexts.
- Innovation: We are committed to developing new and creative theories, methods, materials, and means of research, teaching and learning in East Asian calligraphy in the digital age.
- Inclusiveness: We are open to engaging a diverse audience interested in East Asian calligraphy and related subjects. Potential topics of discourses include but are not limited to traditional and modern visual arts that employ writing, linguistic and cultural studies pertinent to writing systems, as well as comparative research on calligraphic traditions and practices in East Asia and other regions and cultures.
Our mission encompasses the following major objectives:
- Promote East Asian calligraphy education in colleges, K-12 schools, and local community or cultural centers;
- Advance public interest in and understanding of East Asian calligraphy;
- Provide a virtual forum for East Asian calligraphy artists to exhibit their work to the public;
- Organize and sponsor conferences, workshops, and lectures for East Asian calligraphy educators to present research findings and hone pedagogical skills.